Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Good Morning!

Looking back at some older pictures, I came across one from a visit to a museum in South Carolina in 2014. This is a shawl with a Paisley border, probably from Europe, 1800's.

Until a few years ago, I did not even realize that I had acquired a varied assortment of items bearing the Paisley design.  It was one of the "ah ha" moments.  Purses, shirts, fabric...Paisley.  Now that I am aware of the attraction, I am drawn to it even more.

So, how does that happen?  What part of our brain or what influence triggers us to gravitate towards certain patterns, designs, colors?  Experiences?  Generational or ethnic traditions?  These shawls have a history of being made in Scotland.  I do have Scottish ancestry.

The more I interact with textiles, I grow more aware of a kinship, a "oneness" with the fibers.  Threads are not just "string."  Rthymic flow of thread through fabric.  Peaks and valleys as the needle enters and exits, like our lives.  We are the thread winding our way through life's paths.  Connecting with other souls, some, joining with us as the journey continues.

Maybe, Paisley is contained wanderings.  A journey experienced and, then, contained.


I am happy to be contained with the people I have come to know on this journey.  Have a blessed day friends.


4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this ... the shawl is a thing of beauty, but your musings on the meanings you have drawn from it are priceless. Thank you ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful thoughts.

    I've always loved batiks even when I didn't know what they were called. The colors. The swirls. Everything about them.

    I got rid of most of my fabric stash a few years ago, but kept all my batiks. And they are calling to me.

    Thanks for the great post. The shawl is beautiful.

    Wishing you a wonderful rest of your week.

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I even made some Paisley strawberry emeries for you! The shawls were treasured and when they became worn or moth eaten , ladies would save the beautiful edges...passed on to me for my sewing make-dos and doll clothes.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what? I love Paisleys too :)Persian pickle, as they call it.
    And just like the other readers, I love your thoughts on this. You've got a big talent, Sue finding the right words for unspoken feelings and emotions. Love to read you!

    ReplyDelete