Sunday, February 12, 2017

Good Sunday To All...

Hope all is well.  Here in IL, we have a blustery day.  Temps in the 40's, but, feels colder.

Last week, DH and I took a day trip to downtown Chicago via the train, approximately one hour each way.  Too frenetic to drive and park down there.  The day was spent at the Art Institute.  For a certain period of time during the months of January and February, admission is free during the week.  Good savings as admission is 22.00 each.

Many exhibits, of course and, despite the early arrival, time was limited as the Institute is huge.  Also, any exhibits in the lower level dictated going up and down staircases or elevators back and forth between floors as each section of the lower level is not connected to one another.  Seems strange.  Hopefully, one of these days, they will find a way (and revenue?) to make the entire lower level a more practical and accessible experience.

Here is just a glimpse of some of the Asian exhibits, Early Americas exhibits:










 
I attempted to photograph the signs to explain the exhibit.  Pardon the shoes.

The next pic is of one of the walls in the Institute.  Love the shell impressions!


My very favorite exhibit was the Doll House collection  There were more to be seen, but, I took pics of the ones that caught my eye the most.  The lighting was a bit scarce in there.  
















In order to take in all the teeny, tiny details, you would have to spend hours there just to take it all in.  Can you imagine all the hours it took?  A definite labor of love.

In Wednesday's blog, there was mention of a possible update on the story cloth.  Although a few more background patches were prepared, the actual patches are still in progress.  Hopefully, this coming Wednesday.

Oh, by the way, I did attend Kathy Tracy's trunk show yesterday at the Quilt Merchant in Winfield, IL.  Will post about the event on Wednesday.

Til we meet again, blessings.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Those doll houses are amazing! I love going to see art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dollhouses. I would be stuck in front of them just as I get stuck in front of the jellyfish at the aquarium. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Aloha,

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ll never forget my first glimpse of the Thorne Rooms [is this what these dollhouse rooms are? MaYbe they ve added?]. I was quite a small child, just fell in love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz...yes, these were in the Thorne Rooms. They are a delight.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sue, you left a question on my blog, but I can't reply directly as you are a no-reply blogger, sorry. My thread is Aurifil Lana no. 8140 (no names, just numbers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaja...sorry about that...thank you so much for the info on the thread and stopping by here.

      Delete
  5. Dollhouses are cool but the HEN - fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bozena...I just HAD to take a picture of it for you to see. It is quite remarkable. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thank you everyone for stopping by my blog. I appreciate you!

      Delete
  6. Sue - The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk a art Museum in Williamsburg had (most likely still has) an amazing doll house collection. As I recall, they used to pull out all stops every year at Christmas. And you're right, they're fascinating.

    But what really caught my eye was the desk. Zooming in for a peek at the label I saw "Frank Lloyd Wright" ... well, no wonder I liked it so!

    ReplyDelete