Saturday, October 22, 2016

Happy Saturday!

Hope this finds you all well.

Today, I am sharing two works in progress.  The first one is  Maggie Bonanomi's "Turkey Lurkey" piece nearly finished last year.  Not sure if it will be a pillow or a wall hanging?  Maggie has great designs and patterns.  Have most of her books.  Love her work and style.



The second piece is my own creation titled "It Takes A Village."  Started with weaving strips of fabric ala Jude Hill , adding Sari remnants and various embellishments collected over the years.  Eventually, I want to add trees, flowers and pottery?  


This abstract style of artwork is so new to me.  For years, I have been sewing pieces and quilts which had a distinct form.  Quilt blocks which followed a set pattern.  Measured and cut with rulers and rotary cutters.  To  tear the fabric or cut with abandon is so foreign to me.  BUT, I want to learn this style.  Almost like dipping your toe into a pool of water and then shrugging and diving in.   

While I still love the traditional style of sewing quilts and follow numerous designers, some of whom have become good friends, I find myself spending time on line with the Artists who dance to a different drum.  Checking out books from the local Library to study different techniques, watching tutorials.  Then, I pick up a pad of paper and a pencil and I start drawing and erasing and erasing...

Maybe I should stick with "things" instead of people!  Have a good, creative day!




6 comments:

  1. Love your village! I would say that less structure suits you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both pieces! It is fun to try some new things- I like your village alot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your village! And the Turkey is so fun. I find it challenging sometimes to switch around among various styles..traditional, modern? primitive or improv...? but I find joy in trying new/ different things too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled when I read your post. I've become interested in more non-traditional fabric work. Your village is wonderful. With hope, I'll start working on quilting projects again. Right now I'm doing well to knit a dishcloth or two.

    Sending you some Maui magic.

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sue, your village is wonderful!!! Keep going and don't care about drawing skills, think and "draw" in fabrics.

    These are the two separate things and it is clear that you feel much more comfortable in fabrics. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B...thank you so much for the kind words and advice. I watched your video on YouTube (again) the other day. Wouldn't it be great to sit together and stitch? If we just did not have that "pond" between us! Na zdrowie

      Delete